Thursday, July 30, 2009

GODZILLA, GODZILLA, GODZILLA, GODZILLA AND MEGALON!!!


GODZILLA, GODZILLA, GODZILLA, GODZILLA,
AND A MEGALON!!!

Yes, Today's feature are a bunch of Godzillas and a Megalon!

To your left you will see a small array of models. Welp, 4 models and one pre-built, pre-painted figure. Those of you in the "know" will know that the brownish 'zilla on the far left, the one that is from the original 1954 Toho production of Gojira (1955 US title of Godzilla: King Of The Monsters), is the pre-built critter. He's a 10" vinyl figure made by the Banpresto company. Though he is NOT a model, he fits fairly well alongside the other guys.

Standing next to him is a 90% completed Billiken vinyl 'zilla, from the 1962 Toho production of King Kong Vs. Godzilla (we will check our nerd hat at the door and just stick to the US titles from here on out). His paint job is nearly complete, and he just migt be my favorite of the critters there. Well, of the 'Zilla's.



To his left stands a Billiken vinyl of the 1965 version from the film Godzilla Vs. Mothra, which is considered by many to being one of the best Godzilla suits made. Though it isn't one of my favorite suits, I do like it quite a bit. Granted, this might have something to do with it being Godzilla and I personally have yet to find a Godzilla I dislike. Tri-Star films do NOT count as Godzilla, thank you very much. This one is also 90% done.

Standing to the left of him is the Billiken vinyl model for the 1975 version, from the film Terror Of Mechagodzilla. Now, this is not my favorite of the models I have pictured here, but this is more or less my favorite suit. But you see, this is the first true kit that I bought and attempted to build. So whereas I do like my pain up quite a bit, it has too many aspects of it that I would do differently now. This one is 100% done, though in some ways I would love to go back and fix a few things about him. But I am also kind of running with the "he was done when I finished him back then" mentality.



To his left is the uber-fancy kit standing there. That, my friends, is a Resin Chef kit for Megalon, from the 1973 production of Godzilla Vs. Megalon! He is made out of resin, and if you are not familiar with the stuff, let me tell you it is very intimidating! Resin is a heavy kind of plastic feeling stuff. Maybe it is clay, I'm not too sure. I believe it pours into the mold as a liquid but then hardens into the stuff you see there. I had to use a dremel tool to sand down and smooth out the imperfections on Meggy. As you can see from this, he has a long way to go to being done.

Also, standing on my TV is a Godzilla from Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster, and he will be posted in a few days as he needs some extra help, and hopefully by then there might be a few of you fine folks out there with some suggestions.

In the coming months I will also be posting the finished products for these guys. So stay tuned!

2 comments: