Saturday, September 19, 2009

DAMMIT!!!


Well, there is that damn sign again...sitting outside of the outdoor.

*sigh*

I didn't have my hopes up very high, but they were higher than if nobody had ever told me Creature was supposed to be there. I mean, if I had been told "hey, Carl, Coyote Ugly is playing at the outdoor tonight", well I probably wouldn't have my hopes up as high as I did tonight to see Creature. Hell, I wouldn't even be going to the outdoor...or McHenry for that matter. So yes, I did have some hope to being able to see the good ol' fishy one. But I wasn't holding out hope.

But...as you see, no Creature From The Black Lagoon. So instead, I'm going to give you some pictures of the drive-in. Let's see if I can figure out how to make Blogger to this the right way. I still don't get the picture posting aspect of this silly site...so please hang in there...


The Marquee out front is quite obviously the first thing to kick one in the nether regions upon arrival at the outdoor. This is the sign that prompted my wife to ask where the Creature title was. Tonight, as I came up on the theater, I could only sigh out the word "shit".

This is outside the concession area...that's my daughter, on her way to buy some hot chocolate. It wasn't as cold tonight as it was last night. Last night was pretty tough. Tonight was mainly cold due to there being no damn Creature. I'm not bitter.


Yeah..it's one of those modded out jukeboxes that plays CD's. At least they try to being back the old days. Before the movie they only play "oldies". Though now days I am pretty sure that Wham! is considered "oldies". But I mean they only play stuff from the 50's and early 60's. Very little post-Beatles invasion stuff.


I'm going to call "bullshit" on their advertising on September 18th and 19th...the night this picture was taken. Seriously, how hard would it have been to change the sign that is sitting on the counter?


Yes, there are some REALLY bad parking spots at this drive-in. I mean, come on...with your can on that kind of angle, it's REALLY hard to see the screen. Plus, it's kind of hard to see, but all that popcorn on top has been spilling into these cars.


Dear Dr. Bennell's face here kind of explains how I was feeling when pulling up to the theater tonight. The one BIG saving grace here is that Invasion of the Body Snatchers is quite easily one of my favorite films also. I have no problems watching this one over and over again, and on the big screen like this, many times I sat there just stunned by how great the camera set-ups are in this film. The scene right after Becky wakes from her nap in the cave, and Miles is running down the hill to the highway, if you look you can see the towns people chasing him, on the top of the hill, while Miles is on the bottom running towards the camera. The set-up shot is truly beautiful and if you freezeframed it, it would make a great picture even to have in a frame.

So all was not lost. I got to see a favorite movie, two nights in a row, for a total spending of $8.00 for all of us! Plus it was on the big screen, at a drive-in. It was a great way to take a step into the past. Plus, a little more appreciation grew for a film I dearly love. So hey, I won. The only downside is that if I am coming away from Invasion feeling like this...I can only wonder what kind of enthusiasm I would be having right now after having seen Creature in such a setting!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment